Click the flag for your preferred language.
Tips for Finding That Heartbeat
More often than not, new Fetal Doppler users find it hard to locate their baby’s heartbeat. This leads to frustrations especially after using plenty of money to buy the gadget. What they don’t know is that a few tricks are all that they need to get the desired results.
- Use the Doppler when your bladder is full. This helps in pushing the uterus forward making the heartbeats easy to locate and hear.
- If you are using the Doppler early in pregnancy, try situating it in the middle of the abdomen but above the pubic hair line.
- Use the Doppler in slow moves. Fast motion makes it hard to find the beats.
- Use plenty of ultrasound gel. Ensure there is enough of it between your skin and the probe end. You can always order an extra bottle if it runs out.
- Use the Doppler first thing in the morning or just after retiring to bed. Bloating is minimal at this time making heartbeats more evident. Some women, however, find it easier when they are bloated at the end of the day.
- If you find it hard locating the heartbeat, try pressing the Doppler firmly as you move it across your bump.
- Finally, patience is key. You might not find the heartbeat on the first trial, but that doesn’t mean it’s not there. With practice and devotion, you will finally find it.